After six years of college, I am finally graduating in May. So, naturally, this semester consists of going to my part-time job as social media director for an extension of my university, attending classes, and intensely searching for jobs.
Que stress.
I'm looking for jobs in over a handful of states but I have my eye on Virginia. Why Virginia? I can't give you some long, super logical answer. My only answer is I want to go somewhere and start a new chapter and a new life. I think moving off will help me become an adult and its not permanent. If I move to Virginia, or any other state, for a couple of years and decide that particular state isn't for me, I can always move back to Georgia or back in this general area.
I'm visiting a friend in Virginia over spring break and will get to spend St. Patrick's Day in Richmond. I'm pretty excited.
While graduating is bittersweet and joining the real world ranks is scary, I'm pretty excited. I'm well aware finding a job won't be easy and moving to a new town will be difficult and so will making new friends, but I more than welcome that challenge. I have faith in myself and my abilities to do an excellent job and succeed regardless of where I am, what I'm doing, and who I'm doing it with.
I don't want to look back on my life and say I wish I had done something. I want to do it. The greatest risk is the one not taken and I'm willing to take the risk, even if it means the little Michelle inside of me is screaming and crying and having an all out panic attack--I know I can do it.
I have faith that things will work out the way they are supposed to. If they don't work out, then that wasn't how it wasn't supposed to go and I will move along.
PS: If you or anyone you know has contacts or knows of any jobs in the journalism, public relations, or communications field, please let me know! Thanks!
Friday, January 25
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

One of my best friends is a media relations assistant at Notre Dame. He mostly covers the less popular sports, but he was at the BCS game, helping with interviews and everything. He also had an unrelated opportunity to work at the Super Bowl last year. And he received his Master's from GSU. I could put you two in touch, if you'd like. I don't know how much help he could be with getting you a job, but at the very least, he could offer some valuable advice for starting out. Shoot me an email, and we can work out the deets.
ReplyDeleteAfter I graduated from UGA I moved to Arlington Virginia to attend graduate school in D.C. Although I love Georgia, Virginia is probably my favorite state. Within a few hours you can be at the beach, in the city or the mountains. I hope that you are able to find a job up there. I don't have any media contacts, but if any of my friends mention anything I'll keep you in mind. Good luck!
ReplyDelete