Pages

Sunday, April 21

The Interview Chronicles

In the last month, I've had three interviews -- three phone, one in-person -- and so far, no job offers. 

I thought phone interviews were going to be easier than the in-person ones but after a recent phone interview, I have changed my mind. With phone interviews, you can't see the interviewers facial expressions and overall body gestures. It's amazing how much a facial expression or gesture can make or break your overall opinion of the interview. I try to be as enthusiastic sounding on the phone so the interviewer understands that I'm interested in the position and interested in talking with them. Phone interviews have two upsides however. One, I can be in my pajamas with no make up on, just sitting in my bed and the interviewer can't tell how nervous you are. They can't see your hands shaking or you nervously tapping your foot.  Needless to say, I've had very few interviews and am still trying to perfect the art of being a successful interviewee...

But to get the job interview, you must first do the legwork-- job searching. I am exhausted with the job searches. I'm exhausting my outlets too. I check the same couple of job websites regularly and needless to say, they are all the same. I need new outlets. 

And before you do the legwork, you must first have the degree and apparently a long list of experience or you're wasting your time. Exaggeration? No. Have you looked at job postings lately? Some of these companies think they are worth more than they really are. The job description itself doesn't reflect the need for someone with a Master's and seven years of experience or even a Bachelor's with five years of experience. It's like an article of clothing that a store really likes by the price on the price tag.

"Oh, how much is that cute sweater?" "90 dollars." "Wow, you really like your sweaters."

Needless to say, I'm burnt out. 

And the interview chronicles continue... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a little love.