In the last couple of years, I have endured one too many deaths, vigils, visitations, and funerals from classmates, a teacher, fellow Greeks and friends, to my own sorority sister. It never gets easier and I suppose it never will.
This time, it isn't me who is directly experiencing the hurt and heartbreak of losing someone, it's my sorority sister. My little little. My nugget. My lifesaver a time or two.
Her dad was taken from her and her family yesterday and now, the life she has known for 20+ years has been turned upside down. Just like that, like the flip of a switch.
My heart literally aches for her. Nothing is worse than seeing someone you love and care about so much in so much pain and so heartbroken and not being able to fix it.
I put myself in my sweet, vibrant, rambunctious little little's shoes and I instantly start to tear up, even cry big crocodile tears if I think about it long enough (like right now). The pain of losing a parent is something I can't describe because I don't know how it feels. I'm blessed to have both of my parents still with me and I've only lost one grandparent in my almost 24 years. I only know the pain that stems from losing my sorority sister and other friends. Losing my sorority sister was the single handledly the hardest thing I've ever been through to date. I was in middle school when the grandfather I was so close to passed. I don't even know if you could say I ever really grieved. But I grieved my sorority sister's passing and I grieved hard... and long. In some ways, I think I'm still grieving. Just as my little little will continue to grieve for many months and years to come.
I have been reminded in the past 24 hours of just how phenomenal my sorority is and how thankful I am to have each and every one of them. It isn't about how long ago we've talked or seen each other, but in a moment of crisis, we each band together and form a huge support system for one sister and her family--a support system that we sometimes forget we have until we need it most.
Sunday, April 7
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to leave a little love.