Do not knock people's professions.
Do I make myself clear?
I completely understand that I chose to be a part of a profession that is not always well-liked nor well-received. No, I am not a stripper nor a porn star. I'm a soon-to-be-journalist.
As a journalist, we are required to investigate, get the facts, sift through those facts, literally dumb them down, and then explain the situation to the masses. Without my profession, you literally would know NOTHING. Keep that in mind.
I know that there are journalists in the world that make the entire profession look bad. Those journalists are the non-objective few that spend their time being an opinion journalist. While I love to voice my opinion, that isn't my role in the work force.
I have pretty thick skin, but I still take offense to those who deem it necessary to knock my profession and the job that we do. The next time you turn on FOX News or read the AJC or the Washington Post to get information on whatever topic you choose, keep in mind that someone somewhere went out and found out all of that information you are reading. While that seems like an easy job it, however, is not. We are denied access to certain people. Some people we need to talk to, refuse to talk to us. We have to wisely choose our sources and the things we write. There are many man hours put into these stories and with some stories, a lot of time away from family. Being a journalist isn't always a nine to five job.
Before hopping off my soap box, I will finish by saying this...
It's ignorant on the person's part who chooses to knock other people's professions. Just because you may not deem their job as "worthy", at least they ARE working.
Both my parents write for the AJC, and I can't read the online comments on their stories. I get overly defensive and angry. It is insane how cruel and hateful people can be to journalists.
ReplyDelete