Pages

Monday, April 16

1912-2012

Yesterday, April 15, marked 100 years since the "practically unsinkable" Titanic struck an iceberg and sank to the bottom of the Atlantic.

Titanic struck the iceberg around 11 p.m. on April 14 and finally sank around 2 a.m. the following morning.


In honor of the 100th year anniversary, Titantic was re-released but in 3D. I went Friday with two sorority sisters to see it. I loved seeing the movie on the big screen but there weren't many aspects of the movie to really be seen in 3D, but it was still cool to see certain parts in 3D.


I had completely forgotten how gorgeous Leonardo DiCaprio is, by the way.

Needless to say, it's hard to believe that 100 years later, people are still exploring the Titantic ruins and are still trying to figure out what exactly happened. There was an awesome documentary on the History Channel last night.

I've always been kind of fascinated by the Titanic (not the movie, the actual ship + sinking) since I was a kid after seeing the movie. I was also convinced that I was kin to the unsinkable Molly Brown; sadly, I am not. It's still saddening that out of 1500 passengers, only 700 survived to tell the tale.

I think it's so neat how a ship retraced the Titantic's path and anchored on the spot where the ship sank in memorium and tossed flowers into the water.

There are numerous articles about the memorial events held all over the world in honor of the Titanic and also tons of articles still being published about the actual sinking and the reasoning behind it, not just the iceberg.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a little love.