Pages

Saturday, March 24

Things I've Learned in College

I have been in college almost six years. Yes, I said six; all undergrad. Throughout my time in college (which I've attended three colleges), I've learned a few things here and there.
  • Explore all major and minor options BEFORE you declare a major/minor. This solves the problem of changing your major a few years in (or four, like me).
  • Talk to the people in your classes. You never know when they can come in handy, especially once you are in your major classes.
  • GO TO CLASS! Attending class can really  make or break how well you do in the class.
  • Don't drink like a fish... every night. Not only will this not help your pant size, it will affect your grades. And can also affect the relationships you have with others.
  • Don't give in to peer pressure. If you don't want to do something, don't do it.
  • Don't take shots at the beginning of the night. Why? Simply because you won't remember the rest of your night.
  • Go Greek. It's a great way to meet people and be a part of something bigger than yourself. But remember, you only get out of Greek life what you put in to it. You must participate!
  • Take advantage of your teacher's office hours. They are there to help, utilitize them.
  • Don't fully rely on advisors to plan your class schedules. Your advisors are usually teachers. They don't know everything like you hope they do so it's best to create your own class schedule and use them as guidance, not as a crutch. Also, use the peer advisors that are available.
  • Don't dance on stage. You never really dance as well as you think you do when you're drunk and everyone always remembers "that girl that danced on stage..."!
  • Make friends with the bouncers at bars. They come in handy when a guy is pestering you.
  • Make friends with the bartenders. This is just common sense.
  • Don't let yourself go. By this I mean don't spend your time constantly eating out (especially late) and not taking care of yourself.
  • Learn the town you are in. Get a map. Just ride around. Learn the area you're living in. It's not smart to only know the way to campus, the bars and WalMart.
  • DO NOT COME TO COLLEGE LOOKING FOR A HUSBAND.  This is my own personal pet peeve. Come to college to find your bridesmaids, not your husband. Don't waste your parent's money to get a MRS degree, you can do that without spending thousands of dollars on a what will become useless education.
  • Don't stress about dating, or having a boyfriend. You'll never get these years back so enjoy them and don't worry with whether you're tied down or not.
  • Do things for yourself. Make yourself happy.
  • Don't throw your cell phone while drunk because you're angry. Your phone is not invincible and it will break and your parents will get extremely pissed. It's best to just put your phone up while drinking.
These are just a few things I've learned throughout my almost six years of college and I'm sure I'll learn some more over my last year.

What are some things you've learned while in college?

2 comments:

  1. Michele this is all great advice! Thanks for sharing your insight. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a little love.