Pages

Thursday, March 22

Doing good deeds makes you feel good.

My mom included the above in an email she sent to me yesterday. It made me happy to know that they were proud of me (even though I already knew it) and it also made me think about how often I do things selflessly for others.

I feel like it's one thing when you are required to do volunteer hours for a club or sorority but it's an even bigger thing when you volunteer your time without it being required. I volunteer at the Statesboro Food Bank because I want to; because I like helping people. Am I really helping them? Probably not, all I do is take a piece of paper from them and hand them food items but I feel that somehow I am making a difference. I'm always smiling and always make sure to say "have a good day" when they leave. I want to leave a positive impression on these strangers and I don't want them to think that I ever look down on them. Volunteering at the food bank has given me more of an idea as to how many people rely on food stamps and other food services for their meals. It makes me angry when I see (like on Twitter) or hear people talk badly about less fortunate people. It's rude and heartless. Instead of speaking badly about these people, help them. Homeless people kind of scare me when they're on the side of the street but I always try to drop change in their little bucket. When Mama and I went to Atlanta over spring break, there was a man playing drums on buckets and he had another bucket out front for people to drop money in. I ended up dropping a dollar in his bucket and when I did, I saw there was no other change or money in the bucket and I felt bad for the fella, especially if he makes somewhat of a "living" beating on buckets around Atlanta. Do I give dollars or change to EVERY homeless person I see? No, but I at least say a prayer for them.

I always drop change in the Salvation Army bucket at Christmas time and I always give money to the fire departments when they stand at redlights with a boot to collect change. This past Christmas, I donated a dollar (which equaled a toy) at Dollar Tree for a child of a military family. I have no clue what child my "gift" went to, but I didn't like the thought of a child possibly not having a great Christmas.

Next weekend, I'm participating in the MS walk in Savannah with my friend Emily, other friends and her mom. Her mom has MS and as a team, we were asked to donate money. I have collected almost $95 from friends and family for the cause. Emily means a lot to me and I never once thought twice about doing the walk nor asking for donations and donating money myself.

I enjoy helping others and it makes me feel good doing good deeds without being asked to do so.

I used to think that I was selfish, and sometimes I'm sure I am, but when I sit back and think of all of the kind, selfless things I do for others I realize that I'm not as selfish as I once thought. I wish others would step back and think about others before complaining about their life or how much money they don't have while they're driving around in a new car or wearing a $200 dress.

Impoverished people are people we, sometimes, should look up to. They have learned to make the best out of a bad situation, which is something many people these days have difficulty doing. I know too many people that insist on kicking people while they're down when, instead, they should be helping them up.

2 comments:

  1. hey i just found your blog and saw this post. I LOVE to volunteer. any and all kinds it makes me happy knowing that I am helping out others. it is honestly one of my favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an awesome post Michele! You really hit home with it. And I love your thought about how we can look up to impoverished people because they make the best of their situation- you are so right!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a little love.