Pages

Sunday, September 11

Remembering 9/11 - Forever in our hearts.

For my grandparent's generation, they will always remember where they were and what they were doing when JFK was killed. For my generation, we'll always remember where and when we were when we heard about the events of 9/11. It was the fall of my 7th grade year and I didn't actually find out until I got out of school that day and arrived at the high school to catch my ride to my mom's office. Come to find out, our middle school principal had sent out an email informing the teacher's of what was going on but made a firm point that they were not to tell any of us due to the nature of the events. When I got to the high school thought, that principal at the time had allowed the teachers to tell the students and had watched coverage of it on classroom televisions. I remember sitting at home that night and my parent's and I watching the news coverage. I remember being upset and angry but at the time, at my age at the time, I still didn't fully grasp the severity of it all.





Now, ten years later, I'm 22 and a 5th year in college. The events of 9/11 are never out of mind, however. Over the last ten years, I've learned here and there about Al Qaeda and I've seen my friends sent over seas. I've been hesititant on airplanes, swearing I'd get off if I felt the least bit uncomfortable with someone on the plane. And I've been able to watch the news the night President Obama announced that we had killed Osama bin Laden. I've been able to say God Bless America and know that the fallen of 9/11 can finally rest in peace.

May 1, 2011
New York City will always be scarred. The Pentagon, while the wing that was damaged has been built back, will always be scarred and the workers, both military and civilian, will always remember the fear they felt that day. The tiny town in Pennsylvania where Flight 93 crashed will also always be scarred.

The workers, firemen, and passengers on all four planes may be gone but they're not forgotten.




1 comment:

  1. My 7th grade teacher ignored the principal saying not to tell us. She said we deserved to know. It was unbelievable. My heart breaks thinking about it and all the lives lost that day and since then

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a little love.