In case of you have missed the memo-- I'm fixing to start my 5th year of undergrad. Have I mentioned I still won't be graduating this fall or next spring? Yeah, that's right, I will then start my 6th year of undergrad next fall. Trust me, there are no fireworks going off at the fact I'm not entering the real world yet. People talk down to me because I didn't graduate in four years and because I'm not graduating in five. It's like when I say six, they all freak out. Why? If I were to have graduated on time but gone to law school I would be in school for like six or seven years so what gives? Is it because it took me six years to get through undergrad? Well let's see... I've been to three colleges, went to college my first year only part-time taking a mere six hours a semester because I was a big girl and took a Pre-K teaching job right out of high school, re-taken college algebra three times, changed a major, and dealt with a few classes not transferring from one school to the next. It isn't like I graduated high school in 2007, entered Georgia Southern, and screwed around all this time but people don't understand that and honestly taking the time to explain it isn't worth the energy and sadly, sometimes, I just let people think whatever they want about me and my six year undergrad i-wish-it-wasn't plan. I don't find it funny that I should graduate two months before my 24th birthday but it's something that I cannot change.
I've been kind of hard on myself lately seeing all of my friends my age getting big kid jobs and entering the real world. Still being in college is kind of bittersweet, I will admit. I will envy their big kid money while they envy my late night fun sesh.
If you are someone that thinks less of me because of the path I'm on please don't tell me. I don't care to hear your opinion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I know how you feel. I just graduated this past June with an Associate's degree, and it took me 6 years to get it. I was only at one school, but it took me 4 1/2 years to find a major that I really liked. I started off as a photography major, but quickly found out that I didn't have the time or money for it at the time. Then I took gen eds for a while before becoming an accounting major in my 3rd year. After struggling with that for 2 years I decided I needed to get out before it killed me and I landed on marketing. I had a whole year of classes to take after switching and I'm glad I did. I think marketing is my calling because I flew right through those courses.
ReplyDeleteKeep your head up. Some people don't even go to college and have no idea how difficult it can get. As my friend's class's motto says, "Just Keep Swimming!" :)
don't let people bring you down. Like you said, there were a ton of factors leading to where you are AND at least you are graduating and not giving up! I know far too many people who never get to where you are! Good luck and keep your head up :)
ReplyDeleteEhhh! Real World is not all it is cracked up to be.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't wait to graduated college, start my career, and buy a house. But what I didn't think of was my Daddy-fund closing, that no one gets their career job out of college, and that houses are expensive!
I wouldn't even worry about, real life is over rated
girl don't let it bother you..it took me 5 and a half years to graduate..took my boyfriend 6 and most of his friends are STILL not done and they are all 27-28. Hardly anyone finished in 4 years. Don't let it get you down!
ReplyDeleteOh gosh. Honestly, I think people are secretly jealous. I definitely am but I'm fine with admitting it! I envy the fact that you get to live this life for a year and a half longer. I seriously cry every time I pass the Statesboro exit because I just was NOT ready to leave. The school, my friends, the lifestyle, having my own place, even the town (well... haha). I graduated in 4 years because my parents made me, but if it were up to me, I would have stretched out my college experience longer because it was seriously the best time ever! Don't let people get you down when they really are just sad that they had to grow up too fast and they just suck! =]
ReplyDeleteIt's probably the people saying things that still wish they were in school. I finished in December and miss it. I never thought I would. Keep your head up girl!
ReplyDeleteBTW, I nominated you for an award. Make sure to go to my blog to check it out! :)
Honey, let me let you in on a little secret. It doesn't matter if it takes you 12 years to get a degree. For real. It took me five years to get out and then I still took classes online after that working on other degrees. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT ever let someone make you feel bad for that. And trust me, if you wanted to quit school today and get a job, you'd probably get a better paying job than most of those working in the real world with a degree. Just shooting it straight.
ReplyDeleteAnd you are beautiful and you are you. So don't waste your time feeling sorry for yourself (I know, I can't take my own advice). Face the day like you own it. If someone looks down on you, you smile at them with your southern charm and turn the other cheek.
Much love, Savs