What is a real friend?
To me, a real friend is someone that doesn't turn their back on you. A real friend is someone that understands that you have flaws and helps you work through them. A real friend listens. A real friend is there for you through thick and thin, even when times are hard.
I am not the perfect person or friend and I have never and will never claim to be. I have my good and bad days just like everyone else but I know that I can say that if I have ever considered you to be a good friend, or real friend, of mine I would never turn my back on you. I understand that a friend and I may not always see eye-to-eye on everything but I still continue to be your friend and work through things with them. I always listen when someone needs to talk. If you are a real friend of mine, I will work out issues I may have with you and forgive, and then move on.
I, however, haven't been so lucky to have this same kind of friendship. I've noticed that people love to be your bestie and love to claim your friendship when things are on the up and up, but when times get tough, they turn their back on you or change the dynamic of your friendship.
I've never had a friend, someone I thought was a true, real friend, turn their back on me until now. And they turned their back on me without really even explaining why.
Has this ever happened to you? If so, how did you deal with it? What do you think a real friend is?
Wednesday, August 31
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
michelle, this has happened to me a lot. to deal with it i literally just pray about the problem. in addition to that i confront the friend if i believe the friendship is worth it. if it has happened before i simply realize they are only a goodtime friend. it gets easier as you get older. a true friend is someone with whom you haven't spoken to or don't always keep up with and yet you still can 'pick up' right where you left off. no hard feelings for so and so missing this or that, its easy. hope this helps a little.
ReplyDeleteThis practically confirms that we are officially twinsies. As you know, I've been going through the EXACT same thing. It's so hard to find a genuine person that is there for you, will have your back & wants the absolute best for you. I have constantly forgiven some of my friends when they hurt me and they go right back to doing it again. I loveee that you mentioned something along the lines of "they're there when you're at your peak, but are nowhere to be found when you're at your low."I couldn't agree more. I think the biggest cause of friendships going down the drain is because of lack of communication. I'm the type of person that wants to know right away what I did wrong and what I can do to fix it, even if it's the littlest thing. A lot of people shrug off the little things until something huge happens which causes EVERYTHING to come out, a fight and a lot of hurt feelings. When a friend turns their back on you, it's the worst feeling in the entire world and no one deserves to go through that. It's even harder trying to understand why they turned their back in the first place. I wish I had some advice for you, love. Things will get better with time. You'll always have a friend in me :) Promise!
ReplyDelete