Hi lovelies! My name is Whitney and I blog over at Just A Country Girl.
I was so thrilled when Miss Michelle asked me to guest post on her blog. This is my very first guest post, so be gentle with me J . Michelle also said I could write about anything that tickled my fancy….where does one even begin??
Since Michelle and I both have a flare for the Southern ways of life, I thought I would give some insight into my southern/country life here in good ole Kentucky! Hope you all enjoy.
I was born and raised in the hollers and hills of Eastern Kentucky in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains. Which are GORGEOUS!!! Fall is my favorite time of the year back home. Here are a few pics of why that is so:
Aren’t they just breathtaking? The town I grew up in has approximately 4 stop light intersections, a wal-mart that closes at 6pm on Sundays, no movie theatre, and a church on every corner. It may not sound like your cup of tea, but I am so, so, so thankful I grew up there. Even though I now live in the big bad city, I am such a country girl at heart. Sure, I love to get all glammed and glizted up, but at heart, there ain’t nothing better than front porch rocking, sweat tea sippin, country music crooning, late nigh fishing, and four wheeling and motorcycle riding. There is just something calm, peaceful, and refreshing about growing up and living in a small town in KY. I am so proud to be from there!
I am so glad I am a Kentucky girl. Did you know we are the state famous for fast horses and pretty women? KY is also known for bourbon distilleries, coal, bluegrass music, automobile manufacturing, tobacco and of course college basketball. I currently live in central ky, in the heart of the bluegrass. The “Bluegrass State” nickname is based on central KY’s beautiful green grass that almost looks blue that is present in many of the pastures throughout the state, based on the fertile soil.
One of my favorite things to do in here in KY is KEENELAND!!!! I make many blog post references to Keeneland. Keeneland is where the ponies (aka thoroughbreds) race. Keeneland has two racing seasons: a Spring Meeting in April and a Fall Meeting in October. My dad is an avid race horse fan, so I like to think I halfway know what I am doing when it comes to betting on the ponies. However, most of us Ky gals go to keeneland for the tailgating, social scene, and of course to show off our latest fall and spring dresses. If you are even in Lexington in October of April, you must come check out Keeneland. Guaranteed to be a good time.
In Kentucky, especially Lexington, we love our WILDCAT sporting events. Kentucky basketball is an obsession in the bluegrass. Winningest program in the nation and 7 national championships?!?! Woot woot! Seriously, the UK basketball coach’s job is more important than the governor. Probably sounds a lil messed up, but it is so true. We love Coach Cal and the excitement he has returned to the bluegrass. CATS fans are the real-deal! Our basketball teams are local celebrities around here. We also have a football team, but let’s be honest, us KY gals go to the football games to TAILGATE.
Kentucky likes its chicken fried. We are know for the birth of the finer lickin good Kentucky Fried Chicken. Souther food is my favorite! All though my waist line and love handles don’t enjoy it, southern food is amazing. I mean we basically palce macoroni and cheese into the vegtable category. My favorite southern meal is my mama’s homemade chicken-n-dumplins or my granny’s soup beans and corn bread. There is nothing like a slow cooked meal made with
You cant be at true KY girl without cowboy boots. We wear them all year long. Pair them with cute sundresses in the summer and with jeans in the fall and winter. Really, they are a must!
There is a famous Ashley Judd (celebrity face of UK basketball) quote that says,
"Sure, girls from New York, they are tough. And girls from Georgia, they are sweet. But those born and bred feisty Kentucky girls, they are the ones you have to look out for. We have sugar and fire in our blood. We can ride a horse, be a débutante, throw a left hook and tell you the entire UK line up all while making sweet tea. And if we have an opinion, you get to know it. We're both the pride and the downfall of the bluegrass...”
No words were even spoken truer. Love this quote. Hope you all enjoyed getting to know a lil bit more about this country girl and the way of life in KY J
What do you love about your city/state?
love,
Whitney










I know exactly what ya mean! There is no place like Kentucky. And LOVEEE the quote! =)
ReplyDelete