Well that quote was not what I felt like hearing at 11:30 last night while working on my fully online journalism class. I hung up my reading hat when I entered high school. I only read the books necessary for class and honestly half the time I didn't read those, I just looked them up on cliffs notes. Remember in elementary and middle school when they made you do Accelerated Reader (AR) or Booksharp? Well since I was such a good reader I always had to read more than everyone else because I had a higher point system... well for a youngster this did not sit well with me so I either dumbed myself down to a lower level to read easier and less books or I just didn't read at all. I can see the purpose in the program now that I'm older, but to an 8 or 13 year old, the program sucked! Now that I'm a journalism major, reading is a huge part of what I do. To write you have to be able to read. So while listening to my powerpoint I heard the phrase "to become a better writer, you must read" atleast ten times so today on my trip to Books-A-Million to get a book I need for my journalism class, I decided to wander around and look at some books. While wandering aimlessly around the store I actually stumbled upon some what-seem-to-be good books. Starting with the book I have to read for class I have decided to give myself a book challenge (insert nervous facial expression here). I am going to try to read 5 books by December. I'm a fast reader but making my butt sit down to actually read is the task at hand. I will update you lovely readers on the books I read and my progress. If ya'll have any good books suggestions, feel free to pass them along (no romance novels please...)!
Book 1
The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson
No, it isn't about sharks or shark hunting it's a whole compilation of Thompson's mini stories. He's a Gonzo journalist and if you aren't a journalism major or have no insight to journalism you have no idea what that is (haha). Let's just say most of his stories occur in the 1970s and contain crude language and alot of drug and drinking references.
Wish me luck!
XOXO, Michelle
Ooohhh... Great idea! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteLove that title quote. Words to live and die by right there.
What a great post - I love that quote! I love love love to read, but I feel as I've gotten older I get less and less time to read books I want to (and more time has to be spent on textbooks, gag! haha).
ReplyDeleteGood luck on your challenge! That book looks interesting - it will be fun to see what you think of it! :)
I had to read that book for journalism also! We only had to read a little bit of it though. I like his style of writing. Let me know what you end up thinking about it.
ReplyDeleteHello! I read that book for a college Journalism class also. It wasn't all that bad and actually made my class much more enjoyable.
ReplyDelete:)