Pages

Friday, January 14

This will be controversial, I'm sure.

BEFORE READING THIS POST: THIS IS MOSTLY MY OPINION. I AM NOT ASKING FOR ANYONE TO AGREE WITH ME, I SIMPLY HAVE BEEN WATCHING FOX NEWS AND READING ABOUT THIS TOPIC ONLINE AND WANTED TO "VENT". IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME, PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ME RUDE COMMENTS, THEY ARE UNNECESSARY. Thank you!

Ok, so everybody knows about the shooting in Tucson that killed 6, injured 12 including Rep. Gabby Giffords (D-Ariz). With the shooter in custody, the big talk now is of stricter gun laws concerning people with mental illnesses being allowed to purchase guns. While I am a Republican and support, for lack of a better word, the NRA, I do firmly believe that mental patients should not be allowed to purchase guns. However, no matter what laws are placed on gun control, where there is a will there is a way, so if someone wants a gun bad enough no matter what his mental state is, he/she can obtain one. In the state of Georgia, there is a 3-day waiting period to purchase hand guns but there is no waiting period to purchase rifles. So if I wanted a 9mm handgun I'd have to wait 3 days because the state is supposed to run a background check on me before giving me the gun BUT if I wanted to go to WalMart right now and buy a deer rifle, I can without any question. Now does that make ANY sense? NO! Also, another fun fact; you can go to a gun show and purchase a handgun OR rifle and there is NO waiting period. You can walk in a gun show, buy a 9mm handgun, and walk out with it. So why a waiting period if you buy it in a regular gun store, but not elsewhere. I think it's ridiculous and it makes no sense. Like I said previously, I don't think people with mental illnesses need access to guns but unless they are committed to a mental institute or anything there is no physical, paper evidence that could be put out there for gun sellers to look at if/when a background check is ran on the buyer. Medical records are always kept private with the patient/doctor privilege, right? So if mental patients' records have to be put out there to be seen when purchasing firearms then is mine going to be put out there too? I'm normal, not crazy, and I have nothing to hide in my medical records, but if we're going to show one we're going to have to show them all. There are dozens of people that are "ill" that go without help and never see a doctor, which is the case of the Arizona shooter, Jared Loughner. People noticed he was strange and noticed he had problems, and was even expelled from his college, BUT he was never taken under evaluation so he was able to obtain a gun and use it. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words and cars drive drunk. He should be held responsible for his actions, and if we intend to tighten up on gun laws then every area needs to be looked at and well thought through, because like I said where there is a will there is a way and these people can get whatever they want in some way. During prohibition, people wanted alcohol while it was illegal, they got it. Drugs are illegal, but people are still getting it. It's no different for guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a little love.