"I believe you can't feel real joy unless you've felt heartache. You can't have a sense of victory unless you know what it means to fail. You can't know what it's like feel holy until you know what it's like to feel really fucking evil. And you can't be birthed again until you've died."
I spent the majority, well actually all, of my afternoon and night reading Kelly Cutrone's first book, If You Have to Cry Go Outside. I must say, after finally reading her book, I have reconfirmed that Kelly Cutrone is my idol. Prior to reading If You Have to Cry Go Outside, I was well-aware of her ballbuster attitude. We've seen her on MTV and we've seen her on Dr. Phil when he calls for her no-holds-barred retorts and advice. After reading the 197-page book, I now know a different side of Kelly Cutrone. She details her life from first moving to New York, through her trials and tribulations, all the way to her success of People's Revolution; and even the birth of her daughter, Ava. She writes about her spirituality and making a brand for yourself. Her all black wardrobe and ballbuster attitude has made her into a very powerful businesswoman and her clients come to her because she is who she is. She doesn't try to fit the fashion-image, she is simply herself. I'm always taken aback when reading (or scanning) books that do cuss and speak freely and openly about sex and drugs. I am in no way, shape, or form a prude and quite frankly I cuss like a sailor majority of the time and am not shy about shenanigans when asked but I still kind of get wide-eyed when I read it in a book and Kelly doesn't hold back at all in this book; that is why I love her.
Before really writing and reflecting on how If You Have to Cry Go Outside affected me and made me think, I first have to sit down and do just that--- reflect. Her book really inspired me and she gives an enourmous amount of excellent advice that I really want to take to heart and take with me in life.
If you have never read If You Have to Cry Go Outside I strongly, strongly recommend it. I strongly recommend women struggling to somewhat find themselves read it as well. I kind of feel like I fall into that category and while some of what she talks about takes me out of the realm of what I firmly know, I welcome all things that challenge the way I originally think.

Oh my goodness - I just picked up this book earlier today and it's so good! You're right, it's very insightful and inspiring read.
ReplyDeleteI'll be posting a review as well once I finish - probably soon since I've barely been able to keep it down.
I'm going to have to check this out now! I can't wait to read it!
ReplyDelete