Pages

Wednesday, October 12

On my soap box yet again...

I cannot explain to you how much I HATE, yes I said HATE, people that brag. It's one of my biggest pet peeves and it's such a pet peeve that I will quit talking to you for a few days if I hear you bragging about something that I deem unnecessary.


What is bugging me right now pertaining to bragging is people that brag about having money, or shall I say being rich, especially when you're in college and all that money you are flaunting around isn't yours to begin with, it's mommy and daddy's. 


I was raised that "old money" doesn't brag about what they have and sometimes you are even unaware they have it and that "new money" are the ones that constantly brag and make a point to keep up with the Jones'. I'm from neither of these. I'm from a simple, humble background where my parent's have worked hard for the things we have and appreciate them more because of the work put into getting it. Sometimes my parent's think I'm unappreciative of the things I do have and I'm not real sure where they get that, maybe because I don't say thank you enough. (I'm working on saying thank you more to them when they do things for me.) Whether my parent's realize it or not, I am so incredibly thankful for all of their hard work and long hours to provide for me and each other. Growing up, I learned a great work ethic and that will be something that will always stick with me. Because my parent's have worked so hard for what we have, we don't throw money away or spend it on things that we don't need and we certainly don't brag about anything. 


Lately, I've come in contact with people that are constantly telling me how much money they spent on clothes that they didn't need, how awesome it is to live in a huge house, drive Range Rovers, have a maid, and drop 100s at restaurants because "they didn't have any bills smaller". I have a very expressive face and I know for a fact the look on my face was a pure go to hell look because like I said I HATE people that brag. 


My parents buy me clothes when needed. We live in a regular two bedroom, two bathroom house in the country. We each drive regular cars; I drive an 04 Nissan Altima. My mom drives an 03 Tahoe and my dad drives an 09 Ford F150. We have nice cars, but they're reasonable, which I like. We don't have a maid and we know how to spend money reasonably at restaurants. I'm not saying that I don't have friends that have money, but the people I hang out with that come from money never talk about it. I didn't even realize one of them came from money until she randomly brought it up the other day when we were talking about our families, and I have been friends with this girl for a while.


Some of you, that may come from money, may read this and take my pet peeve as jealousy. Do I wish I had tons of money to spare? Yes, who doesn't. Do I dream of driving a BMW? Yes, but I also dream of driving a Tahoe. Do I ever want to live in a big house when I get older? Yes, but I thoroughly enjoy smaller houses because they feel more like home. 


If you come from money and never have to worry about things, then kudos to you but don't brag constantly about what you have, it's rude. 


Ok, stepping down from my soap box now.

2 comments:

  1. I was taught the exact same thing girl! My stepmom told me when I was younger that being rich or having money wasn't about how much money you spent but rather how much money you dont spend. My dad also said New money talks, old money doesn't. I don't come from money either but my family has worked hard and has nice things. I appreciate this point of view. I have when people who I know dont have money {nothing wrong with that} act like they do to impress people, it's so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think big houses are a waste of money, too much to decorate/heat/air condition. new cars are also a waste--certified pre owned are in excellent shape. People that talk about spending so much money on things are strange. I'd rather brag about a bargain!
    xoxo
    Sc

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a little love.