Pages

Wednesday, October 5

Greek (and I don't mean the food)

As a Greek, you are constantly told that you are better than everyone else and by everyone else I mean non-Greeks or the popular term, "geeds". We are told numerous times that people want to be us and that by us being Greek we will always come out on top and typically most Greeks come from money. Movies and television shows portray Greeks as a bunch of slutty, party animals.


I have a very hard time saying that by being in a sorority that I am better than anyone. Are there people that I am better than? Yes, but that isn't because I chose to go Greek. Some may choose to argue this point and you are more than welcome to, it won't be the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. I'm sure that there are people in the world that wish they were in a sorority but I don't walk around with my nose in the air with the "I know you wanna be me" attitude. I do however believe that by being a part of a Greek organization that it will help me network in the real world and possibly get a job. While there are promiscuous people in every crowd, that isn't who we all are and while we do attend parties and socials, there are just as many Greeks that don't drink as that do. What many people don't realize is that each sorority has a set of values that we are expected to follow and many people also don't realize that we are so philanthropic. There are good aspects to being Greek and I wish those were the things that were constantly put out there to the public. But like everything else in life, the "bad" is always what grabs people's attenion.
Kappa Kappa Gamma & Sigma Chi
Low Country Boil philanthroppy event.
When I read various tweets from different Greek accounts, I'm starting to see more and more that I'm not a typical sorority girl. I'm from a humble background and my parents have worked hard to provide for me and I am extremely thankful for absolutely everything they have done for me and allowed me to do, like be a part of Kappa Kappa Gamma. I hate shopping and see no point in buying Lilly dresses or spending hundreds of dollars on certain articles of clothing just to wear a certain brand. I'm not "hating" on those of you that I know spend countless dollars on Lilly everything and other various items, I'm just saying it isn't who I am. I enjoy a good, Old Navy pair of jeans that fits my rear end just right and an oversized tshirt. I don't talk down to or are mean to people that are not Greek and this falls back on I don't understand where we get off saying we are better than others. I love having all sorts of friends-- white, black, Greek, non-Greek. I hate TFM and TSM. I honestly used to find the website so funny but then I realized how stuck-up those websites made Greeks look and when I think about it, there are a lot of people that are Greek that are stuck-up and fit the things said on these websites and honestly, it pisses me off. I don't want to be lumped into the bratty, spoiled, stuck-up sorority girl category because I am none of those things and sadly, I know of numerous times where I have been put in this category prematurily and in the end, it hurt my feelings.

Not all Greeks are bratty or trust fund babies, there are nice ones in the world, I promise. I think that other people's perceptions of us has been the shaping element of what "being a Greek" is today.

I hope I didn't offend anyone and if I did, I am truly sorry.

If you're Greek, how do you feel about the stereotypes about being Greek? If you aren't Greek, what are your perceptions of Greeks?

2 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way. I hate people who think they're better than everyone else because they wear letters, and TSM and TFM make us look horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Sorority alum, I couldn't agree more - I hate the way Greeks are portrayed and definitely know some of those people who even now ten years after college give my sorority (and just being Greek overall) a bad name - so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a little love.