Pages

Saturday, September 24

It's all about tradition.

I will probably tear up writing this post because I have so much pride in where I attend college. In case you didn't know, I attend Georgia Southern University in the small, quaint, farming town of Statesboro. Our mascot is the eagle and our colors are blue and white. One of my favorite things about attending Georgia Southern is our love of tradition.

Here are a few of my favorites.

Sweetheart Circle
"The rolling lawn spread with picturesque live oaks and pecan trees has played host to numerous important events in the University's history, including countless marriage proposals and wedding ceremonies - a tradition that continues today. It is said that if you walk around the circle three times with your sweetheart, you are sure to be married."

Freedom Flight
"In what has become one of the most popular traditions at Georgia Southern University, Freedom, a male American Bald Eagle, takes flight before each home football game. Freedom came to Georgia Southern University in 2004 and has been trained to soar above Allen E. Paulson Stadium making it one of the most anticipated pre-game traditions in all of college football. Launching from high above the field, Freedom flies and lands at midfield to the roar of thousands of Eagle fans."

Georgia...Southern...
"This traditional chant began as a way to clearly let the opposing team and fans know where they were and who they were competing against. Today, Eagles of all ages use it as not only a cheer, but a way to greet their fellow Georgia Southern alumni."

Honoring a Legend
Erk Russell
"Known for his unique motivational techniques, one of legendary football Coach Erk Russell’s favorite demonstrations of intensity was to head butt his players. Players were often taken back by this gesture because Russell would use his bare head against their helmets, often resulting in blood flowing down from his head or the bridge of his nose."

One More Time
"Calling out to the fans to give the Eagle players recognition after winning their second straight national championship in 1986, legendary coach Erk Russell said, “hey ladies, hey fellas, hey gentlemen, One More Time for the greatest team in America.”


All captions were taken from the official Georgia Southern Traditions website. Click the link to read more about the great Georgia Southern Traditions.

Ps: I totally teared up doing this post. I am True Blue.

HAIL SOUTHERN!

Also, we won today so now we are 3-0. I can hear the playoffs calling our name.
Soaring for 7.


3 comments:

  1. Hail Southern!

    I awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award! Check out my post for details :)

    XO -Becca
    www.ahintofsparkle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Gave me chills- I feel the same way about my college team! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! I've taken the liberty to share your blog with... EVERYONE! Lol! I hope you don't mind! : ) As a fellow #GSU Alum this blog made my heart smile : ) Keep doing this wonderful deed and share with the world how wonderful and life-changing of a school Georgia Southern University is!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a little love.