the death of Princess Diana
August 31, 1997
I was eight years old.
Columbine High School massacre
April 20, 1999
I was ten years old.
9/11
September 11, 2001
I was twelve years old.
Operation Enduring Freedom - Afghanistan
October 7, 2001 - Present
I was twelve years old when it began.
Iraq War
March 20, 2003 - Present
I was fourteen years old when it began.
Virginia Tech massacre
April 16, 2007
I was seventeen years old and a month shy of graduating high school.
economic crisis
2008 - Present
I was nineteen years old when it began.
first black president - Barack Obama
2008 - Present
I was nineteen years old when he was sworn in.
death of Osama bin Laden
May 2, 2011
I was twenty-one years old.
I'm sure I forgot some, if so, tell me what I did forget.
How have some of these events impacted you personally?
Do you remember where you were when you found out about some of the events that have impacted our generation?









Osama Bin Laden was killed on my birthday this year. It's crazy to think of how much has happened. I have friends and family overseas right now b/c of some the events
ReplyDeleteYou were not but a little bambino when it happened. The tearing down of the Berlin Wall in 1989 and the end of Communism in Eastern Germany has dramatically impacted our generation. I mean I was only two. Coming forward from that point, our world has become more commercialized and consumer friendly across all borders.
ReplyDeletegreat post! talk about a smack in the face with reality...scary stuff we've seen so far. I hope the future is brighter!
ReplyDeleteI remember all of these but of course expressly remember the death of Princess Di, 9/11... I remember where I was when I foundo ut about both of these
ReplyDeleteOther dates that ressonate with me are April 8, 1998 and April 27, 2011 both are dates of horrific Alabama tornadoes
ReplyDeletebut those are more of "personal" dates that have affected me... not so much our generation
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post! Sometimes you need to take a step back and remember all the major events that have impacted us or our country!
ReplyDeleteI remember these days very well. Of course September 11th will always be one of those days you will forever know what you were doing. I agree with Lindsey Leigh that one of the most personal things that affected me too was the Alabama tornadoes on April 27th. That was one of the most scariest days I have ever lived through. It seemed like from 6am-6pm there were massive tornadoes everywhere. It changed our state forever!
ReplyDelete