Pages

Friday, August 19

The self-fulfilling prophecy

I learned about the "self-fulfilling prophecy" when I took sociology umpteen years ago. Basically it says that if your told something so many times, for so long, that you eventually start to believe it. For example, if you're constantly told that you're not good enough, eventually you're going to start to believe it. If you're always told you're not pretty enough, eventually you're going to start to believe it. Get my point?

I've been in a bit of funk lately dealing with what I feel like is my self-fulfilling prophecy. It isn't necessarily that I've been told anything negative, but it's the way others treat me sometimes that makes me feel a certain way. I feel like you can be the most confident person and be pretty sure of yourself, but if someone always makes you feel less than mediocre, that eventually even the strongest of the strong will get broken down a little at a time.

I'm finally at my breaking point. I'm turning my back on everyone that has ever made me feel bad about being who I am or that have mistreated me. I don't need those kinds of people in my life. I need positive people that bring happiness to my life and help me be a better person. I know I've mentioned this all before but it's always easier said than done. I kick people to the curb today and then pick them back up off the curb the next day. I can't do that anymore.

This is me. This is who I am and if you don't like it then that's your problem, not mine.

3 comments:

  1. Randomly stumbled across your blog but I am in love with this post. You are so right girlie!!

    I feel like I've been in the same funk lately so here's to us getting OUT of it :)

    New follower! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with this post more- it's not always easy, but know in the long run it will all pay off. stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hang in there sister! and for it is worth...i think you are oh so fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a little love.