Pages

Sunday, August 21

If you're going to get lost, get lost in a good book.

I've been reading The Help so much in the last 24+ hours that the thoughts in my head are starting to sound like Aibileen and Minny. Being so wrapped in a book reminds me of something one of my literature teachers told me in high school.

"Reading is the best vacation you'll ever have. You can go wherever you want to go, just by cracking open a book."

Well I've been in Jackson, Mississippi in the 60s for a good day and a half now, and I don't hate it. I've been so consumed with myself and with the book that I realized I haven't talked to anybody. I haven't text or sat on the phone since yesterday afternoon. It's now 4:10pm and I haven't talked to a soul (besides one of my roommates, of course). I think I just proved to myself that I don't have to consume myself with texts and phone calls to be okay. I think sometimes I text people just because it makes me feel a little wanted.

I'm going to finish The Help within the next hour and a half and quite frankly, I'm just going to crack open another book that I had already started reading but  never finished.

If you're going to get lost, get lost in a good book.

4 comments:

  1. I love nothing more than loosing myself in a good book! I wish I had more time for it now

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Help is amazing! I could not put it down!! Let me know if you know any other great books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Help is such an incredible book. I found that I was losing myself in it too when I read it.

    And books ARE a vacation. I love to put myself in one!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading for that very reason! I absolutely love getting lost in a good book! I just started reading a new book, but it's difficult to get lost in it right now. But since it's such a short book, I refuse to start another book until this one is finished. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a little love.