Hahahahaha, just kidding.
So I'm sure you're wondering what this post is going to be about, right? Well, lately I've been rather curious about the North. Curious about how different (besides snow and too much coldness) the North is from the South.
I only know stereotypical things about the North just like Northerners only know stereotypical things about us.
Debunking 2 annoying stereotypes
1. We aren't all rednecks nor do we all live in trailor parks.
2. Yes, we do talk slow but it doesn't mean we're stupid.
So, this is where ya'll come in-- I want ya'll to tell me what you either think or know about the North and/or the South, no matter which you are from. Sorry for you mid-Westerners, I know zero about you so you can fill me in on ya'll too (haha). All I ask is that you be tactful in what you say and don't be rude. This is meant to be a fun way for everybody to learn more about each region. I've never really been up North, so I'm a wee bit curious. Just look at this as a fun geography lesson.
XOXO, Michelle
XOXO, Michelle
I like this post! I'm from New Jersey! I've only been to the South once and I was in NC! I realized that you cannot drink on a Sunday there (maybe this was just the area I was in?). You all deff have accents, but of course us Northerners have accents to you I am sure. We talk super fast up here, and everything is fast paced. Actually, it seems like nothing is ever moving fast enough for us all! I deff think (or so it seems) that the South is more laid back which is a nice thing, and you take the time to appreciate things more. Up here (maybe this is just because I live 10 mins from NYC) we are always on the go and no one ever really stops working or stops rushing around doing a bagillion things on their phones and computers. You all have different types of food, and typically like your tea sweetened (up here it is usually unsweet). We have the best pizza and bagels you will ever encounter up here and we live for diners (which are open 24/7). You should really visit NYC, it's the most amazing place ever! So much to do, and sooo much fun!
ReplyDeleteWhat part of Jersey are you from? I have a friend from Jersey that goes to school here with me and is in a fraternity I hang out with a bunch. Oddly, I talk fast for a Southerner, but I think it's only when I'm super excited, haha. We are very laid back and I guess that's why I'm decently laid back. I like pizza like a fat kid loves cake, so if ya'll have bombass pizza I'm gonna die hahaha. I'm not 100% what a diner is, like I've seen them on movies, but the only "diner" I've ever been to or known of is Denny's haha and that's just a food chain. I plan on visiting NYC before I'm 30, so that's less then 10 years haha. I'm SO glad to have you as a follower Katy! Oh, & on Twitter! :)
ReplyDeleteNo way!! Where is he from? I'm from North Jersey, Bergen County! But I goto school down at the Jersey Shore (pause for reaction). Haha I didn't even comment on that situation (no pun intended). Not sure if you watch that show but yes, people like that do exist in the summertime at the shore! And there are a good amount of people like that at my school (it's.. awful yet entertaining). And omgosh, you'd LOVE our pizza then it's the bomb.com girl! And YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A DINER IS?! (no, not Dennys haha) I am in shock! They're all sorts of heaven in a building haha they serve like the best food and we go there at like 4am after being out all night! You must come to NYC and I will show you the best places! And I'm so glad too, love your posts! :)
ReplyDeleteCute!
ReplyDeleteAnd I must say that being a Midwest Mama, there are a lot of misconceptions here as well!
No, we don't have an out house and No, we don't have a horse and buggy!
Good for you to see how the other "half" lives!
Have a great weekend!
Love, Kristin
Katy- He's from Pompton Lakes. I always call him a guido being funny and then he calls me a hick. Such a loving friendship, I know. I kinda want to see the Jersey Shore now just to see a real-life guido hahaha seriously. I'm still a little confused on the whole guido concept but that's ok. But YES, I'm not real sure about diners but we just go to Waffle House after going out. Do ya'll do that? Or is the diner that equivalent?! When I visit, you will def know about it!!
ReplyDeleteOh Michelle, I love this post!! I've lived all over the midwest and, obviously, have been here in Georgia for the past 6 years, so I can definitely see the difference. I've never really stopped to think about them, though.
ReplyDeleteAccents are an obvious difference, but more than that, it's the WORDS used in the South. I find myself incorporating them into my everyday language more and more. The first time I heard someone say "fixin to," I had ABSOLUTELY no idea what they meant!!! And a "buggy"???? Didn't know what that meant either.
People in the South, as a whole, are much more friendly (especially small towns). Down here, if you drive by someone on a two-lane or dirt road, you wave or put a finger up to say hello. That doesn't happen in the midwest. You don't really acknowledge other drivers unless you're angry, haha!
Obviously family is important no matter where you are in the country, but there is very big emphasis on family in the South. People don't like to move away from their family members. It was unusual where I was living for my friends to have their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and everyone in the same town. But here, at least for my friends, family is number 1 and you stay together unless you really can't help it.
I could go on and on and on.
Omgosh, Pompton Lakes is right by me! How funny! Did he goto a private school? And I do not know what a Waffle House is, but it sounds like it could be similar to a diner! :)
ReplyDeleteI love this post! I grew up in the North (er Mid Atlantic to be specific), but I've lived in NC for 5 years now. Like most people have said, the biggest differences I've noticed are with the types of food. We have water-ice, subs, and really good pizza, and the south has amazing biscuits and gravy and Bojangles; I had seriously never heard of such a thing until college. I think depending on where you are the style can be pretty different too. I tried to buy a pair of croakies at the Dick's at home, and when I asked the sales lady, she said, "you want what..?" I've seen a lot more conservative and preppy style in the South, which I love.
ReplyDeleteAll in all, like you said, I've found that most of the stereotypes aren't true. There's a lot more that's the same than different.
You know me and how I have traveled the world! I was born and raised mostly in the South, but dont have an accent. I absolutely love the North! Especially in the Fall. Maine is beautiful and has awesome hiking! New York is also a cool place to visit, believe it or not, NYC isnt the only place that exists in that state. It has an awesome country side.
ReplyDeleteKeep up with the posts! I love following your blog. You are making me miss the south! P.s. I am moving back to the states and out of Chile this May... It kind of makes me sad! I have loved living in Patagonia.
Love girl!!